Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lot's-a-dough



It's been rainy here today, so Gus & I decided (by Momma-majority vote) to embark on making playdough.
We're hosting a play date this afternoon and are looking for something fun to do indoors.

Now, I'm aware that most Mommas can rattle off a playdough recipe without much thinking, but since I'm not one of them and had to look it up - gasp - in a book, I thought it might come in handy for someone else if I snap away and take notes, while I concoct away.

The reipe I found recommended to use 3 cups of flour per color, but that seemed excessive (unless you're aiming to give your kid enough to cast and coat the entire living room) so I scaled it down and added more color. This makes about a cup and one half of playdough per color (more than enough to make two sets of colors). The entire undertaking took me a little under 30 minutes including washing up.
All in all I spent about $5 on all the ingredients.


Playdough:

- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 10 drops of food coloring (or leave it a natural beige)

Mix the first three ingredients in a small sauce pan, turn on the stove to medium heat, and add the next four ingredients and stir until mixture pulls away from side of pan (about 3-5 minutes) cool the clump and knead it, once it has cooled. Portion off into air-tight containers. Will dry hard (and fade a bit) if left out.

Gus does quality control after the kneading...

Voila! The finished product. Could be a nice party favor or thank-you gift for a little, creative soul. Or package it with a colorful placemat and a couple of cookie cutters as a birthday present.

OK, gotta go. Gus wants a "copter" (Helicopter) made out of playdough...wish me luck
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Emily Harris said...

My mother made this exact recipe for Gus' daddy and all of her other grandchildren many times. She usually did not add coloring and would say it looked more like biscuit dough that way. I think she did not like the mess of food coloring.