Monday, October 8, 2007

The "new" normal

I've caught on to the thought that nothing will ever be "normal" again as we move toward a "new" normal. Gus is settling into a routine and amazing us with subtle changes every day. Here are some of my "new" normal discoveries:

New normal highlights:

A deep throaty burb - nothing delights me more and relieves Gus better than the sweet sound of air escaping from his milk-full tummy - especially at 2 a.m. I get giddy just thinking about it.

The sight of my baby boy, happily swatting his arms and pumping his legs in his crib for no reason other than that he can ... I just stand and stare in awe...

Gus snapping his eyes shut when I pucker my lips and move in for a kiss...it may just be a fluke or a reflex move...but to me it's our first responsive game that we play and I will never tire of it.

Kissing his little roll at the back of his neck, it's my happy place.

The sight of a pile of freshly washed diapers - even though the dirty pile always seems bigger.

Watching him shriek at a ray of sunlight - he doesn't like to cry but he does like to shriek when he gets excited...

Seeing Gus and Jacob cuddle together - it's magical and I can't resist joining in.

Waking up at 2 a.m. to my son's polite call for late-night food and realizing that I got 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It makes me want to hug the world!

Gus "head-banging" like a teen-aged Metallica fan...his trademark sign for hunger...

Passing a mirror or window and seeing my son's legs dangle to my waist - make me almost certain that he will outgrow me by the time he hits kindergarten. "Gus, down here, your mother is talking to you!"

Taking a noontime nap with Gus slumbering next to me. Sweet dreams!

We are so blessed with this sweet, brave new soul.

1 comment:

Maia said...

Well, I have to say, the "new normal" doesn't sound so bad, now does it? Anyone could get used to loving that!! I'm so glad for you all. OX