Saturday, January 31, 2009

So busy...


I'm still steaming from my hard drive loss, but slowly simmering down, partly because I know, as an adult, I have to let it go and move on, and partly because Mr. Never-sits-still (except for this photo op this morning) simply won't let me stew on one subject for too long. In the span of two hours this morning, Gus has already managed to break one (more) plate (there goes my wedding china), scribble highlighter on our (still blank) tax return forms and fall face-first off his little red flyer wagon (the wailing was epic).

I'm already exhausted and it's only 9 a.m. Jacob's at work all day today, so we better head out and find some less fragile environment for us to blow off steam in. I'm thinking hiking or perhaps the playground...

I don't know if all Moms go through this phase, but I find myself more and more often now, wistfully thinking back to my single life (the life I remember at the time, I thought inconsequential and low on meaning). Ah how I would love to sit all morning in a fancy cafe and read the New York Times cover to cover, while sipping a steaming hot latte...now I would get exactly two words into it before the aforementioned latte would go flying steam trailing prettily behind it and foam splattering on everything.
How I loved those lazy unfocused Saturdays when I would go for a long run and then plot a craft project or a shopping trip. Nowadays my craft projects are limited to scrubbing unwashable ink and marker off of unwashable surfaces, and shopping - well aside from costing money - would quickly disintergrate into me chasing my son up and down some isle, while he flails a cashmere sweater here and there like a majorette's baton...

I don't really want to be that unattached single woman anymore, Lord no, I love motherhood, but now and then a single Saturday would be lovely.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brynn said...

I hear you sista! In my dream world, I'd get to share that Saturday with you. How about a slow run in the woods, followed by a silent coffe shop stop, wrapped up with tour of thrift stores before we settle in with our honeys for dinner together? Oh, I wish that could happen. Today!

Maia said...

Oh, I hear you! Our little Dr. Destructo seems to wreak more havoc by the day. She is a natural disaster at this point. And Mike's filling in for someone on baby leave at work, so he's basically working 7 days a week, and exhausted the rest of the time. I"ve even had a couple of moments where I almost feel jealous of people who use daycare. Almost. But not really.