Wednesday, July 30, 2008

From tree to jar


Yep, I'm really into that canning thing right now. Every time I see produce (preferrably free) I jump at the chance to peel it, cook it up and fill it into jars. There is something extremely soothing about canning and I love the security I see when I open my pantry and see the pretty little glass jars sitting there obediently in a row, waiting to be openend and enjoyed.

I found an appletree behind a closed convenience store on my long run last weekend. It's brimming with juicy, tart apples and the ground is covered in the slightly dinged up variety - not spotted enough to stop my industrious imagination from getting jump started...for the rest of my run, I mulled over the possibilities and by the time I finished, I couldn't wait to jump in the shower and return with Gus and a large bag...I was actually worried that someone else might have discovered it too...

No need to worry...with my mother-in-law and my grandmother-in-law's tutorials over the phone, I managed to cook my harvest down to sauce and can it neatly into five pint jars.


Did I mention how much I love summer?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Leah said...

Did you save some applesauce for Andy?

Mom-of-Bean said...

Psst...it's on my birthday gift list...