Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer is so sweet!


Jacob and I spent an hour Sunday evening picking black berries in a nearby park by the French Broad River (Gus got to hang out with Auntie Say-Say). The park is secluded and just overgrown around the edges with berry bushes that are heavy under their sweet load. We managed to pick about four quarts with only a few splinters and scratches (blackberry bushes are prickly suckers!) and a tiny patch of poison ivy for Jacob (he is the poison ivy magnet, if there is such a person).

Naturally I excitedly started mulling over my options the moment the berry harvest hit the kitchen counter and Monday afternoon (while Gus was snoozing) I decided to make low-sugar preserve, with the help of an online primer and Jacob's Mom's handy inversion trick (helps seal the lids).

Six jars of pure not-to-sweet, almost herby goodness are now gracing my pantry (actually five - one is already in heavy use in the fridge).

Have I mentioned how much I like Western North Carolina during these sweet hot days of high summer?

I'm going back for more berries next week...I'm thinking cobbler and maybe some smoothies...



Posted by Picasa

No comments: