Saturday, October 24, 2009

Creativity @ Play

In recent weeks, I've been a bit worried about Gus' brain development...and the guilt for the apparent lack of progess in aforesaid lobes is all mine. Let's just say that a couple of days of mild fever coincided with several weeks of pesky, daily rainshowers, have made me complacent about audiovisual entertainment...meaning Gus has acquired quite a taste for a particular kiddie show that we can - very conveniently - get on instant viewing on Netflix.

Gus loves Pingu. He speaks Pingu. He demands Pingu and he is mesmerized by this tiny, mischivious claymation penguin, going on the same two dozen adventures over and over again. Gus doesn't mind. "Pingu, again" he shouts impatiently from the laptop, set up next to me in the kitchen as I do laundry...and I comply, because...it's so easy...

But today, who knows if it's the stars or yesterday's wholesome dinner of black stewed beans, Gus turned a happy corner and proceeded to entertaining me with creative play...all morning long.

Case in point, a handful of marbles we got as a sales promotion in Migros, Switzerland's biggest grocery store and saved for a day just like this.

Take a long cardboard tube and let them roll through it at different angles...over and over again...endless fun...all while I leisurely sip my coffee...

Then, while I assembled a curry lentil stew, I heard some troubling noise from the bedroom, where due to an ongoing renovation of our closet space, most of our breakables, poisenous and otherwise hazardous possessions are piled high and vulnerable to to Gus' discerning eye. He zoomed in and decided on a purse full of my nailpolishes and nail grooming supplies...I do agree with him the little bottles of - troublingly similar -pink hues are very fetching and make for great little creatures to play with...

So far the little pink polish people have been for a ride in the tractor (which plays the ol' MacDonald tune ad naseum) taken part in a tumbling competition on the big bed, assisted Gus in giving Baby a manicure and neatly been lined up to witness the latest daring exploits of Chomper the backhoe (who also has a very annoying calling card of different jingles)...

Again, as always for most of the past two years, I try to muster up a worry - because that's what good mothers do right? - and again my little son, takes my worry and crushes it without much regard and discards it with a mild smile, before he moves on to topple the next milestone...I'm in awe...and all ears...as I hear some new troubling noises from the bedroom...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Maia said...

I love the nailpolish train ;)

Q has a similar obsession with Yo Gabba Gabba, which we downloaded early-on, and which she can apparently watch for an entire year (of repeat episodes) without ever tiring. She wakes in the AM and asks for "Yoooooooooooo!" She wakes after her nap and asks for "Yoooooooooo!" She can repeat every episode verbatim, but never tires of it. She can not, however, be persuaded to watch ANY other TV show (and we've tried a few).

Thankfully, she also seems to progress apace in her independent imaginary play, so I guess it's not doing any harm.

Me, I'd like to watch a little more Curious George (my own cartoon obsession) but oh well.