Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fast friends



My friend Heather and I ran a 5K in Hendersonville this afternoon under a bright blue sky at a brisk 35 degrees. Aptly, the race is called the Frostbite 5K, put on by the Park Ridge Hospital, incidentially, the place where Heather's adorable son, Rion, was born 10 weeks ago - go Momma! (Whew I know, that's a run-on sentence if there ever was one...but I'm on a roll, afterglow and all)

She says she doesn't like to run, but I'm in awe of her for running a race so quickly after giving birth. We were the only two stroller Moms, so Rion and Gus won their age groups, 0-12 months and 12-24 months, respectively. Gus got lots of attention, which is what he enjoys. In fact, he always is kind of unhappy when he realizes the race/run is over....I guess we'll keep on moving and trudging on.

I'm still at a loss for words when I pass people, I know - from my own experience - that it's depressing when the lady with the stroller pulls ahead of you, but the competitor in me all the while screams at me "who cares about these people and their wussy feelings, go go go!"

So I do and then I feel a little bit bad, until I see another person ahead of me to pick off...Gus is into it too, all he has to do is point and we're off in hot pursuit.

Any suggestions for a polite little ditty I could holler at people instead of "watch out! We got wheels" (that's really what I say...I know, it's bad)

Did I mention that I love this stroller and the freedom and sanity it has given me?



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Brynn said...

Go you guys! I loved those stroller days. Now I chase Emmett on his bike. A new era.