Sunday, December 6, 2009

Samichlaus & Christmas Parade

December 6, is St. Nickolas Day in Europe, where children will visit Santa Claus in the town square (or bank as is often the case in money-saving Switzerland) recite a verse and make a plea for a specific gift and receive a small giftbag full of tangerines, nuts, sweets and - traditionally - a "Grittibaenz" (Sunday bread baked in the form of a potbellied man). It is also the day, children keep an eye out for "Schmutzli" (Santa's sidekick, who looks like the Grim Reaper and specializes in the bad kids. He has a big burlap sack and is shrouded in vague rumors about running labor camps in the forest...it was very effective when I was a child). Anyways, I get to reminiscing...in honor of St. Nick, I attempted to bake a couple of Grittibaenzes (there are how-to's on YouTube, if you believe it) and they taste OK, however they are the two ugliest ones I have ever laid eyes on...Gus and Jacob don't seem to mind as long as I slab butter on it...

On to something much easier on the eyes...I know, aren't they handsome?...I should just call myself a fiber artist....I'm talking about the hats, of course...the two guys are pretty cute too though...

Gus waiting for the Christmas Parade...I love that little red button nose...winter cold (without snow) is good for something...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: