Sunday, March 21, 2010

Barter Beauties

 

 

 


My newest discovery/a-ha experience - some of the really good stuff you have to wait for until you're in your 40th year HINT, HINT - is bartering.
I am so very fortunate and blessed to live among some absolutely amazing artist, who casually act like they are normal human beings punching in to 9-to-5 jobs, when really...they create, C-R-E-A-T-E beautiful things that stop me dead in my tracks with drool dripping from my chin as I take it all in. (Insert a shriek of joy here for further illustration)

Well, needless to say, I want some of that beauty to behold in my own hands, home. I want it, I want it, I want it. (Insert temper tantrum as only 2-year-old can throw them for audio effect here). But the way we live doesn't make many allowances to start up an art collection of big $$$ figures...

In comes (drum roll) bartering. I know our government doesn't like it, but I do. I do, I do, I do (ABBA song of the same title for background here) Thanks to my knitting, my bookkeeping and Jacob's carpentry I am now the very proud - and gushing, I know - owner of a few object-d'art, among them a stunning trio of wood carved tablets by my oh-so-wonderfully-modest-but-so-wildly-talented friend George Peterson (click here to see and drool) who pulled these out of a pile of cast-offs and quickly let go when I snatched them to my bossom. (dont' they look awesome over our slightly too distressed couch? - the couch silently screams for help every time Gus repurposes it as a trampolin but I can't help it so I decorate it).

The fun part is that these tablets are made from some old cheap pressed woodboard cabinet doors that Jacob pulled out of his refuse pile when George needed something to "doodle" on with his chainsaw...all I did for it was knit a pair of mittens...I love this especially every time I look at the tiles...because I did like making those mittens, too

Personally, I think everyone needs one of George's bowls/vessels/sculptures in their life...it's like a much needed hug on a bad day...

The cup (we drink hot and cold beverages from it) is made by a client of Jacob's who also happens to be a very talented pottery artist (this is the place for great pottery, whatever you think of Western North Caroline, we are rich in pottery) for a few hours of making shelving for her, I got a set of six. I love them fiercly, every time I cradle one in my hands I feel sophisticated and special - nothing at Crate&Barrel (and I love C&R) makes me feel quite like that..no matter how artisan or Italian it is in design or origine...

I'm constantly on the lookout for a new bartering opportunity, I have friends who can coax anything out of a little bit of good soil and an old pot, do wonders with bits of wire and a few beads and turn natural flavoring and whole milk into the most delicious gelato...

I am blessed - well, sort of - according to George, I "elevate organization to an artform" and I take that as a compliment coming from him. I do, I do, I do (got the song stuck in your head yet?)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Maia said...

Very eloquently said - you do indeed elevate organization to an art form. Oh how I wish I had that talent. You create such beautiful living spaces.

Maia said...

ps - do you think your friend would mind if I did a post on his recycled-skateboard pieces for my "other" blog (http://uneenvie.blogspot.com)? I do regular "handmade finds" posts, and I have a pretty big following. I checked out his website and am crazy about those skateboard pieces. So tribal. Love them. His work is gorgeous and I love the pieces you "bartered" for too!